Naturopathy is a distinct and complete system of health care which applies a holistic approach to wellness based on the principle that the body has the inherent ability to heal itself. Naturopathic principles are based on treating each person as an individual and treating the whole person, not just the affected area.
Naturopathy is both an art and a science. Naturopaths are prevention medicine specialists. Today naturopaths use scientific evidence as well as traditional evidence in their practice.
Naturopathic case-taking often uncovers dis-ease long before it has become a diagnosable pathology. Naturopaths are trained to treat people of all ages suffering from acute conditions such as a cold or flu to chronic conditions like diabetes or depression. Naturopaths have many answers for common conditions and use a variety of modalities to restore health.
Using the healing power of nature and gentle therapeutic techniques, the body, mind and emotions are supported during the healing process. Rather than focusing on symptom management with drugs, naturopathic medicine works to understand what is preventing the body from healing and works to remove this so the body can then restore itself to health. Naturopaths work to understand the underlying cause of disease. Since underlying causes are unique to each individual, Naturopaths tailor the treatment to address all aspects of the individual. This is a cooperative process that requires active involvement.
A Naturopath will use a number of methods to uncover the underlying reasons for dis-ease. This is achieved through case-taking, in-clinic testing such as vital signs, physical signs, iris analysis, bioimpedence analysis and lab test results. A Naturopath may also request other tests such as saliva tests, hair analysis or other functional pathology.
Naturopathy encompasses a variety of treatment methods, which may include:
- Dietary and nutritional advice for restoration of balance, detoxification and prevention of disease
- Lifestyle advice to promote well-being and to reduce stress
- Herbal Medicine to help prevent and treat various illnesses
- Flower essences to enhance the emotional aspect of healing
- Nutritional supplements to address deficiency or to support specific functions within the body
- Homoeopathy to trigger the body’s natural system of healing
- The use of compresses and packs to stimulate organ function and to reduce pain
- Traditional remedies to ease symptoms
Naturopaths may not necessarily utilize all of these therapies, but will have a range of therapies they specialize in. It should be noted that this list is not exhaustive, and other therapies may also be used.
Naturopathy can alleviate a wide range of conditions and is suitable for all ages. Some of the more common conditions treated include:
- Fatigue or poor energy
- Digestive problems
- Depression or anxiety
- Infertility, male and female
- Hormonal issues
- Reduced immunity
- Autoimmune conditions
- Skin conditions
- Stress related ailments
- Weight loss
However, you do not need to be unwell to benefit from naturopathy. Personalised programs can support:
- Healthy ageing
- Preconception care
- Post natal care and breast feeding
- Optimal performance, sports and academic
- Wellness and vitality